[OM] Re: lighting

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 13:18:16 -0800
The problem comes from the size of the source of light and the difference
between hard light (very directional, shadow making) and soft light (wrap
around, soft diffuse shadows). The panel lights will give you somewhere
between the two.

My advice is get a light that can do either hard or soft light, then you
won't be limited by the fixture. As you have suggested before isn't it
better to get the right tool first and not spend lots of money trying
everything?

I make a sizeable part of my living doing this, I don't believe these tools
are the most flexible and I definitely not think a beginner would get along
with them. Yes any other light is going be bigger than these but that is
because these panels are designed for a very specific purpose. I believe
they are intended to be for close quarters product shots and not people
pictures, especially not anything larger than a headshot. They solve a
specific problem and no doubt do it well but if you are planning on learning
and tackling a wide variety of subjects then a more traditional light is
what I would suggest.

Dan S.