[OM] Re: NNNooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: NNNooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
From: "Gary Holder (c)" <gary.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:24:37 -0500
Hmmm.

My experience with Comcast (Atlanta area) has been as positive as Walt's,
though much longer (back through two other corporate incarnations for
them--maybe the particular corporate history here--Media One, then AT&T,
before Comcast--makes them a cut above the Comcast average?), and I have
been using their local phone service for several years, too (in addition to
TV and Internet). They did "force" me (on price) to upgrade Internet and
phone last year, which required replacing my standard "cable modem" with a
bigger modem device for handling both Internet and VOIP phone; and adding a
monthly rental fee for it  (I had owned rather than rented the preceeding
standard cable modem).

Anyhow, since the upgrade I've felt unusually free to call Tech Support
right away on ANY outage. Phone service usually persists when Internet
and/or TV is down, which is usually briefly. Almost always, a power
cycle/reboot by me and/or a box/modem reset initiated from their end fixes
my trouble--which is good, because that's about all the "tech support" folks
know how to do (yes, I'm ex-tech support myself, from back when there were
no canned scripts and hardly any pressure to turn a profit). I have to laugh
a bit when they decide to "reset my modem" from their end--thereby dropping
the VOIP call we're on.

I do like the "On Demand" TV service, and use it more and more, though not
for the Pay-Per-View parts, only for the included no-extra-charge parts.
Comcast will rent you a set top box with a hard drive, to make it a DVR; but
I'm waiting, as I predict (only a guess) that within a couple of years
they'll upgrade their On Demand service to be an "online DVR" (that is--a
system that will record what  you want as well as play what you want), as
all that seems lacking now are HUGE hard drives on their end (I thought my
current delay for starting-up a requested On Demand show was
buffering-a-hard-drive-file time; but my installer said no, it was due to a
jukeboxy thing physically loading a DVD--so, no hard drive files-only method
on their end yet.

My Dad (St. Louis area) got satellite Dish Network last year and likes it a
bunch. On Demand and Internet keeps me tied to my terrestrial cable. His big
difference is he's happy with dialup Internet.

Gary Holder