[OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 22:56:08 -0500
The problem with fast mirror lenses (if we can call 5.6 fast) is the
need for a large secondary mirror to avoid vignetting of the image.  The
large secondary causes light loss and increases the diffraction thus
causing lowered contrast.

At 300-350mm I would vote for a conventional refracting lens over a
mirror lens.  I think it will perform better.  But by the time you get
to 500mm the size and weight begin to be significant trade-offs.

Chuck Norcutt