[OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:44:50 -0500
Mirror lenses of less than 500mm focal length are quite rare as are
apertures larger than f/8.  I think someone made a 350mm mirror lens
long ago but I can't remember who it was.

I've never thought much about the problem but in thinking about it now I
assume that there are some physical constraints in passing the image
through a hole in the primary mirror with the hole being large enough to
deliver an image across a full size 35mm frame.  (no one is yet making
mirror lenses for 4/3 mounts).  If the mirror was small then there
wouldn't be much left after making a large hole in it.  A shorter focal
length lens could have a larger mirror if it was a very fast optic but
very fast lenses have lots of other downsides not the least of which is
cost and weight.

I think you'll find that the industry has settled on 500mm f/8 as the
smallest practical size they'll produce.

Chuck Norcutt