[OM] Re: Olympus microscope adapter

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus microscope adapter
From: Alan Wood <alan.wood@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:36:28 -0000
John

I don't think what you mean by "eyepiece compensation" is what I meant by
"compensating eyepieces".

Objectives on older microscopes produce images that deliberately contain
some spherical and chromatic aberration.  This is intended to be corrected
by the use of matching eyepieces that are called compensating eyepieces,
often marked with a K.

Different manufacturers use different amounts of correction, so you get best
results by using matching objectives and eyepieces.  It is impossible to
predict the results of mixing objectives and eyepieces from different
manufacturers, but some people get good results.

Some modern objectives do all of the correction, and need non-compensating
eyepieces that only provide magnification, not correction.

Alan Wood
http://www.alanwood.net (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)