[OM] Re: Isle Royale photos finally webbed out

Subject: [OM] Re: Isle Royale photos finally webbed out
From: "Scott Peden" <scotpeden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 00:52:49 -0800
Moose,

In the Oaks it might be the Ramalina, there is a lot more of it down there
than where I live.

Usnea is round, and pull a large thread and it is white in the middle, that
is a positive ID, nothing lese like it.

The more I look at it, the more I think it might be the Ramilina.
Search Ramalina here;
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/flora/ (the only place I have seen it called
California Spanish Moss, everyone else calls it Lace Lichen)

http://www.hastingsreserve.org/OakStory/LaceLichen2.html

The flattish one, my guess is more likely the Evernia Prunastri.

Next time you decide to head that way, if it is in a State Park, give me a
week head start to see who I can dig up in that park that is knowledgeable
and I'll get you in touch with them.

Each park has it's own experts. If you had detailed close ups, and they were
in my 5 park district (this is the next district south) I could send the
pics to the state Resource Biologist. As far as my area, Judy Hill is one of
a couple local experts in Henry Cowell, (where they have all 14 varieties of
ferns of the Santa Cruz mountains, but I'll have to go traipsing up the side
of an old limestone cliff to see if one of them is still there...forgot
about that, time to excite my 'off trail' friends with a new expedition) and
I am training my counter parts in Big Basin as fast as I can find people who
are interested.

Scott