[OM] Re: Elcheepo radio flash triggers -- Dr Flash, please

Subject: [OM] Re: Elcheepo radio flash triggers -- Dr Flash, please
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:19:08 -0500
As near as I've been able to tell there is really only one or possibly
two Chinese manufacturers for all of these things.  Ignoring the 2
channel unit (something I'd not seen until you mentioned it) there are
basically two distinct types being offered which I see as new and old
versions of the same product by the same company.

The older products as typified by this ad
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Radio-Slave-Flashlight-4-Channel-battery_W0QQitemZ280084149799QQihZ018QQcategoryZ30086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
have a model designation "YHDC-B" where I believe the "B" means battery
powered whereas the "YHDC-A" is AC powered by the power cord to your
studio strobe.  The YHDC series are frequency compatible.

The latest development, seemingly from the same company, is to offer 4
and 16 channel versions of this puppy
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Digital-Radio-Slave-Flash-Trigger-16-Channels_W0QQitemZ280084149787QQihZ018QQcategoryZ30086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
the RD616 or RD604 for 16 and 4 channels respectively.  I do not know if
the 4 and 16 channel units are frequency compatible with each other over
the 4 channel's range.  I wouldn't bet on it.

All of these units come with a 1/4" mono plug as the principal output
and should also include a 1/4 to 1/8" miniplug adapter.  They also may
include (the auction above doesn't show one) a short 1/8" miniplug to
male PC cable intended to trigger the transmitter via PC cord rather
than the hot shoe.   The auction above doesn't show one but this one does
<http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Channel-Radio-Slave-to-Trigger-All-Types-of-Flash_W0QQitemZ180087823982QQihZ008QQcategoryZ30086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
Be sure to get one that includes that 1/8" miniplug adapter and the
cable since the cable is also useful for bridging from the miniplug to a
PC connection via a Radio Shack female/female miniplug connector (about $4).

If you go the RD616 or RD604 route the receivers on these units also
include a female PC socket on the back side which is useful for your
shoe mounted flashes.

I have units of both types.  I originally moved to the RD616 since the
ad claimed additional range (50 meters vs 30 meters for the YHDC-B).
All are lies.  They really don't reach that far.  In addition they are
highly variable between units as to range and may also be directional as
to range.  Quality control is also pretty poor and you may have to
exchange a unit just to get one that works let alone trying to find one
that meets the range specification.

Whatever you buy make sure to get all the same type to be sure of
frequency compatibility.  Buy several extras so you can test and
evaluate range and directionality for each unit.  Buy pairs with
transmitter and receiver and don't try to just buy extra receivers.  If
you buy the pairs you get spare transmitters and some may be stronger or
less directional than others.

I don't have anything that doesn't work to at least 45 feet in any
direction.  I have a couple that go out to 125 feet from either one side
or to the front.  Whatever you get you need to test them for range both
back, front and to the side and find the minimum range for each.  Then
work within the constraints of what you've got.

Not a wonderful picture but the things are dirt cheap in comparison to
the alternative.  Use them if your problem fits within the reliable
range of the weakest device.

Multiple receivers should respond to the same signal from one or more
transmitters but keep in mind the range variability.

I bought 16 channel units but I think that's all that was available at
the time.  16 channels is overkill.  Buy 4 channel and save a few bucks.

Warning on an undocumented feature.  Plugging the miniplug into the side
of the transmitter disables the hot shoe contact.  Caused me a near
heart attack at a wedding on a group shot of over 100 people.  While
they were waiting for me to take the shot I couldn't get the flash to
fire.  I had removed the transmitter from the hot shoe on the camera,
plugged in the PC to miniplug cord and hung the transmitter off my flash
meter to trigger the lights to get a measurement.  When I put the
transmitter back on the camera I left the PC cord dangling out of the
transmitter but not plugged in to the camera.  With hot shoe disabled I
was getting no flash.  I figured the problem out just in time to avoid
cardiac arrest.

Chuck Norcutt