[OM] Re: IT8 Target Practice

Subject: [OM] Re: IT8 Target Practice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:07:53 -0800
Joel Wilcox wrote:
> On 2/22/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I too had this trouble with my first target, a simply piece of 5x7
>> glossy photo paper. Get it in the sun and about right with no
>> reflections and it would start  to curl, creating new reflections. I
>> managed, but it was difficult. I later bought an 8x10 target on luster
>> surface paper laminated to a stiff piece of plastic. Problem solved.
>>

> Dang.  I got one like your 5x7 glossy.  Didn't realize there was one
> on a different surface.

Yeah, that way they get to sell you two. :-)

>> Even the cross polarizer is bound to not be entirely color
>> neutral, so it will throw off your profile. It is then only valid for a
>> picture taken through the same polarizer.
>>

> Valid?  Perhaps not ideal, but I am curious to try it all the same.
> I'm betting it will produce a pretty good profile since it has never
> produced noticable color shifts when I have used it for copy work.

Just spoutin' theory. Obviously, a good polarizer will be wuite neutral.

>> Same thing for the T10. A profile made with it is valid for other images
>> made with it, but not for daylight. Flashes may be roughly daylight
>> balanced, but aren't really the same.
>>

> Actually "daylight" is all over the map, colorwise.  I might happily
> settle for "roughly daylight balanced."

That's what I do, in practice, but I do make my profiles within an hour
or so of high noon on cloudless days. That way, shots in any other light
reflect that different light, which is usually what I want.

>> For accurate color, the profile needs to be made with the same light as
>> the image is it used to adjust. Shoot by late day light with a daylight
>> profile and you will get the warm effect of that light. Shoot the IT8 in
>> that light, make a profile from it and the previously warm images can
>> become balanced as though shot in the middle of the day.
>>

> Sure, I get that.  But I would not be interested in shooting during
> magic hour and having it end up looking like it was shot in the middle
> of the day.

I agree, for myself. I was just pointing out possibilities. You may, for
example, shoot daylight film under incandescent light, if you take an
IT8 shot in that light at the same time, and get accurate color by using
the profile technique.

Moose