[OM] Re: : Re: OM peripheral - Canoscan

Subject: [OM] Re: : Re: OM peripheral - Canoscan
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:22:56 +1300
Mike wrote
> Brian,
>
> I wouldn't waste my time with the Canon software (FilmGet??) Try
> Vuescan. It should see the scanner without the Canon software. Also what
> Moose said, use the SCSI interface. Especially with an older system as
> USB isn't supported very well in older versions of Windoze. Didn't you
> say you use W98?.
>
> Mike
Thanks for the hint Mike.  Maybe tonight by 10,  I may have a different
machine as well; I'm bidding on Trademe for a 3 GHZ,  250 MB mem, 40GB
machine with XP installed.  I hadn't thought of Vuescan.

I have been testing the Canoscan on my son's XP machine which is here
temporarily, while he is. 5 days more then he and it move to another city :-(
It has USB, I've no idea which, probably version 1. I'll look at the scuzzy
interface when (not 'if') I get an XP machine.

This W'95 machine has done very well for the last 11 years but now the 8.2
GB HDD is rather chokka. Especially the mail. And in any case I need to be
able to handle / provide TIFF files for my proposed printer person.

I endorse your comments about trimming quotes. Yesterday's Digest was
303kb. Last week's digests were about 60kb, each.   I trimmed about 170kb
of redundant quotes and spaces out of yesterday's digest.
Today's digest is 278kb !!

Thank goodness the list software cuts all the html out. The mind boggles at
what the size would be otherwise.

Brian