[OM] Re: Any Oly/Canyon user tried one of these?

Subject: [OM] Re: Any Oly/Canyon user tried one of these?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:21:45 -0500
Well, I do own a Canyon 5D but I also own about 10 OM bodies, about 20
OM mount lenses, (and thanks to Bill B) was three, now four T-32's and
various OM accessories like slide copier, bellows, focusing rail, extra
screens, etc, etc.

I've been a loyal Oly user for more than 30 years.  I waited and waited
for Olympus to make their move on the digital front and when the E-1
arrived I was very disappointed.  The E-1 is a rugged, mechanically
well designed body with great ergonomics but with a too small and noisy
sensor.  That and autofocus were both technologically two years behind
the times when it was announced let alone shipped.

Most of my shooting is wedding receptions and bar mitzvahs and in such
low light that I can hardly see to point the camera let alone focus it.
  I need fast, accurate, low light autofocus and the name of that game
is spelled Canyon.  I also need very clean high ISO performance and the
name of that game is Canyon as well.  I also wanted to be able to use
some of my OM mount lenses for wide angle and macro.  4/3 could handle
the macro but turning my 17 and 24mm lenses into the equivalent of 34
and 48mm lenses did not look very attractive.  So, once again, Canyon
was the only game in town.  In the end, the 5D was the only thing that
met my requirements at a price that I could (well, almost) afford.
Ergonomically it's just so-so.  But it does jobs that other cameras
can't do.

Moose can tell a similar story to support a 5D decision but centered
mostly on high ISO and resolving power; both to support his telephoto
view of the world.  But I'm sure he'll tell his own story and do it much
better than me.

Anyhow, in the end I chose a Canyon because I saw it as a business need.
  It had nothing to do with Canyon being popular although you may now
understand some of why it is popular.

Chuck Norcutt