[OM] Re: WTB

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB
From: Allen Coltrin <hjlantern@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:38:16 -0800
Well, so much for my list, lol. Now I'm bummed out. My lens list is pretty much
bare. Do all these that don't work on e-500 not work on an e-330 as well? All
these lenses are going only to the e-330. The 500 is staying digital.

Allen

> Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:25:37 -0800> From: olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> To:
> olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [OM] Re: WTB> > Allen Coltrin wrote:> > Then I
> will post my list again.> > > > I'm looking for some long ranged lenses or
> mirrored as well. I would hope to get either an Oly (I have the 300mm/4,5.),
> a Tanron, or a Tokina. My budget right now is about $100. I know it's not
> much but I have found some on ebay as well, but would like to see if anyone
> has something they want to go to a new home. Just so you can see what I'm
> looking at.> > > It is not at all clear what you are looking for from your
> list. In fact > it seems a little schizo to me. For example, 100-300/5.6 is
> relatively > small, light and slow, and overlaps your excellent 300/4.5.
> 80-200/2.8 > is fast, but bigger and heavier, and doesn't seem to fit in with
> all the > longer lenses you list. It is also an excellent lens, and if it
> goes for > less than $100, a real steal (called a fang in local argot).> > I
> suggest that y
 ou sit back, take a deep breath, and define what you > want a lens to do for
you. I've bought a lot, too many, lenses on the > 'Bay. the ones I've regretted
have been the ones where I rushed into it, > without thinking out what I
wanted.> > Trust me, there is no rush. There are jillions of lenses of the type
you > are looking for, and they will continue showing up on the 'Bay forever.>
> You say you are on a limited budget, yet are looking at all sorts of >
different mounts. Are you looking to buy just one lens, or one to add to > what
you have and form the basis of an eventual set of several covering > different
needs. If the latter, choosing one mount and sticking to it > makes a lot of
sense - and saves money.> > It might help to define what you want to do with
these lenses. For > example, most long zooms and long non-mirror lenses don't
focus very > close. So if you look down and see a pretty flower while using a
Tokina > AT-X or Tamron SP 80-200/2.8, you won't be able t
 o get close enough for > a good shot. If, on the other hand, you are using the
smaller, lighter, > but slower, Tamron SP 60-300/3.8-5/4 or Tokina AT-X
50-250/4-5.6, you > will be able to shoot just the center of the flower, if you
want, > because of their wonderful macro capabilities.> > If you are primarily
looking for a long single focal length lens, you > should consider simply
getting a good 2x telextender for the 300/4.5. > That gives you a 600/9 lens
that will likely beat the pants off a > cheapie 500/8. The Zuiko 2xA is the
class act in telextenders for this > purpose, but here are a lot of quite good
7 element ones out there > cheap. Avoid the 4 element extenders. The way to
tell the difference is > that the 4 element ones are about an inch long while
the 7 element ones > are just over 1 1/2 inch long and generally have the
number 7 in the > model number. They were sold under all sorts of names, but
all look like > they came off the same assembly line, except perhaps
  the Tamron.> > I haven't finished my personal long lens testing, but the
300/4.5 & 2xA > combo looks quite good.> > When you say Tamron or Tokina, there
are a couple of things to remember. > Tokina lenses all come with specific
mounts, so one marked Pentax K. for > example, only fits that mount or 4/3
adapter for that mount. All of the > Tamron top quality line, SP, are adaptall
lenses and may be adapted to > almost any MF mount. So, for example the lone
Tamron SP 60-300 on the > 'Bay at the moment is listed as Pentax mount, but all
that shows is the > ignorance of the seller. With different Adaptall2s, it can
fit all sorts > of mounts >
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-SP-60-300-mm-Zoom-Lens-for-Pentax_W0QQitemZ190083171250QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4688QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190083171250>.
 > If the price stays low, it's a good bet.> > Also, Tokina made lenses in a
bewildering number of designations. AT-X > is almost always good and many SMZs
are excellent. Back
  before all this > labeling proliferation, those marked RMC are usually good
to excellent. > Tamron covers almost everything in their SP line.> > > > > >
TOKINA 100-300MM 1:5.6 LENS ebay # 150091920095> > > Konica mount, no workee.>
> > > Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 AT-X Lens for Olympus # 180085873050> > > Great
lens! Make sure it has the tripod mount. Matching hood is > important too,
although less so.> > > > Tokina 500mm 1:8 Lens for Canon 35mm Camera w/2
filters # 290083590626> > > I've recanted my thought that FD lenses might be
adaptable, no workee> > > > 500 mm Mirror Lens For Minolta # 230092462231> > >
No workee on E-500> > > > Olympus OM series 500mm f/8.0 Lens # 270091145448> >
> Quantary brand, might be ok, but why take the risk?> > > > Reflex-NIKKOR-C f
8 500mm w/leather case # 320083883845> > > This will go for more than your
budget.> > > > 500 mm f8 / 1000mm f11 lens for Minolta XD/XG SRT MC/MD #
110093590208> > > > TOKINA 400mm f/5.6 - NIKON AI-S # 320084289533> >
 > No workee on E-500> > Moose> >
 > http://www.zuikoholic.com> List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Get the most out of tax shelters and other breaks.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/TaxShelters/TaxShelters.aspx?icid=WLtextFebtagline