[OM] Re: New Person to the group

Subject: [OM] Re: New Person to the group
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:15:00 -0800
Allen Coltrin wrote:
> Hehehe I have a shake already that makes had held shots impossible. So the
> weight is a huge issue for me. But I didn't even think about the added weight
> of a true 1000mm lens. Thanks for the reminder.
>
> A question.....Can this lens have an adapter to use with Oly? I'm still going
> through the will this work or not stage. Ebay number 260088063145.

Piers has given the quick answer, no,

More generically, you will find that only MF (manual focus) lenses from
other brands/mounts will work on the E-thingies with adapters. The
reason is simple enough. AF lenses communicate with their bodies via
electronic signal, and each mount has a different, incompatible system.
These functions include aperture stop down. So AF lenses can't stop down
their diaphragms except when attached to an appropriate body. So even if
you could get an adapter for AF lenses of other brands, they would only
work wide open.

The wide array of old lenses that may be used on E-thingies with
adapters are all MF lenses. They include lenses for at least these MF
lens mounts, Nikon SLR, Olympus OM, Contax / Yashica (RTS), Leica R,
Pentax K, Pentax M42, Minolta MD, Exakta, Topcon and Rollei SL.

Moose