[OM] Re: New Camera Maker

Subject: [OM] Re: New Camera Maker
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:46:19 -0500
IBM used to grind up parts... used or defective ones at least.  In the
early days (late 60's) I used to be able to go to the scrap reclamation
area at lunch time and buy anything there for the cost of the scrap
metal.  I used to buy gears, shafts, bearings and other mechanical bits
for use in my home made telescope mount endeavors and other fun projects.

Sometime later it was discovered that competitive service companies had
struck deals with our scrap buyers to buy parts that they tried to
refurbish or (sometimes) didn't even do that... just stuck them back
into IBM equipment in the field.  We found out when customers started
complaining to us of the poor quality of parts we were supplying to the
competitive service companies.  As a result of that, all scrap sales to
employees were stopped and all trucks carrying scrap to buyers had to be
accompanied by an IBM manager who would certify in writing that he had
actually witnessed the parts being destroyed.  It was a sad day for
scrap lovers like me.

Chuck Norcutt