[OM] Re: E-1 and OM4T photos

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 and OM4T photos
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:08:45 -0500
I finally think I understand the 300 dpi mystique.  There is an
explanation in "Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop CS2" by
Bruce Fraser (recommended by the way)
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321449916/103-3192476-2323027>

Take my description with a grain of salt but it should be reasonably
close.  The 300 dpi requirement comes from offset press printing at 150
dpi using a 150 line screen.  Offset press uses only 4 color printing in
combination with different dot sizes to produce what we see on paper.
To produce these fat dots on paper they merge 4 input pixels to one
output dot with overlaid colors and sizes.  Therefore, for 150 dpi
output they need 300 ppi input.

Therefore, the actual resolution on the paper is only 150 dpi.  Although
it needed to be produced with a 300 ppi input file, whether that 300 ppi
file was actually resolving that amount of detail is a separate question.

Chuck Norcutt