[OM] Re: Olympus Telephoto Shoot-Out!

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Telephoto Shoot-Out!
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 06:43:36 -0800 (PST)
> That surely explains why Olympus says the OM 300mm 4,5 isn't
> "compatible" with the E-series... it is good! why don't they make
> an AF version of this lens for fourthirds?

The biggest problem with the 300/4.5 is the focus mechanism.  Olympus
would have to change the lens over to IF (internal focusing), which
would be a very good thing, however, it would also have a negative
effect on the bokeh characteristics of the lens.

Is the 300/4.5 sharp?  It's far sharper than my E-1 can resolve.  As
much as I like this lens on the OM's, I truely believe that it and
the E-1 are made for each other.  The bane of the OM, the shutter
vibration, is non-existant in the E-1.

For years and years, this lens has been on my short list.  However, I
always passed up opportunities to get one because I'd really like to
get a 300/2.8 with IF.  Yet, every picture I take with the 300/4.8
reminds me of the missed opportunities by not owning this lens.  Oh
well...

AG

The fish are biting.