[OM] Re: OT Computers and numbers

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Computers and numbers
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:38:13 +1100

> The results you are experiencing are a result of text
> sorting, and are
> correct. You would get the same result on computer systems
> that existed
> long before Mr. Bill got into the business and on
> contemporary systems
> that have no MS taint whatsoever. File and directory names are text
> fields, and may contain many non-numeric characters. Thus,
> they cannot
> be sorted numerically in any useful/meaningful way.

Seems Mr. Gateway may be somewhat inconsistent Moose.

MS XP

For my scans of 35mm colour Negative film I use a directory structure
...\CN35\CN35-nnn
where nnn is just incremented whenever I add a new film.  I thought that
when I reached 999 and then went to CN35-1000 that the directories would be
sorted out of numeric sequence - it didn't happen, the directories maintain
the correct numeric order, they even sort in the correct numeric order when
I have used lower case "cn-" instead of "CN-" !  I also thought that maybe
it had something to do with the temporal order in which the directories were
created, not so, I have had gaps in the numbering system then "filled in"
some of the missing directories later and still the numeric order of the
film number is maintained.  This is how the directories are displayed in
Windows Explorer.

...Wayne