[OM] Re: Bridge Camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Bridge Camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:18:33 -0800
Phil wrote:
> I am looking for a Bridge Camera for future step daughter who is wanting to
> learn about photography. Of course I haven't considered using it myself at
> all LOL but a few of the features that I would like for her are:
>
> External Hotshoe, half decent Zoom, high image quality, Raw.
>
> Having researched a little several come to mind !
>
> Sony R1, Panasonic FZ50 and Fuji S9100 (9600)

I agree with others who have replied, once you get into this size,
weight and price range, you might as well go with an entry level DSLR.
The small sensors mean that all these "bridge" cameras will have poorer
image quality than a DSLR. have you been in a store to heft these things
next to DSLRs?

Also, these are all electronic viewfinder cameras, quite a different
experience than an SLR.

The smaller 'superzooms' have the same or worse image limitations
compared to DSLRs, but at least they are smaller, lighter and cheaper,
and so in a different category. I've been tempted to try one to go in
between the F30 and my DSLRs.

The next question in my mind is about the recipient's personality and
true interests. Receiving something big, heavy and with what may appera
to her to be a steep learning curve might lead to disappointment and
eventual loss of interest. In my case, I would try to put aside my own
enthusiasms and try to honestly assess her needs/desires.

If the first level is to be able to get good looking images under a wide
range of circumstances without a steep learning curve, you might
consider something like the Canyon A630, which will knock out good
images with anybody at the helm in Auto and yet has a full range of
manual control available. The investment is modest, so an upgrade later,
if desired, is easy.

Steve's DIgicams said of it "Almost every single picture we captured was
sharp, properly exposed and showed pleasing color saturation. Our
portrait images were also very nice, displaying great facial detail and
accurate skin tines. Noise levels are very low when the sensitivity is
at ISO 200 or less, becoming more noticeable at ISO 400 and 800."

I'm sure there are cameras with similar features and performance from
other makers. I just happen to have come across this one when looking
for cameras with twist and tilt LCDs.

I think it is developing the 'eye' that makes for a good photographer,
then technical knowledge can follow.

Moose