[OM] Re: Horrors!

Subject: [OM] Re: Horrors!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 11:09:55 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> After a second look I don't think it's oversharpened
It looks a bit oversharpened to me. The obvious result is the little
'halos' of light along the branches and twigs. You can also see it along
the horizon, esp. along the top of the line of trees, where it is pretty
wide.

It's a common result of unsharp mask, for sharpening and/or for LCE and
may show up from use of ShadowHighlight in PS. The most effective means
I know of to allow use of theses functions without halos is to select
all the sky or other bright colored background and float it as a layer
above the rest. The halos are then hidden. The top layer may still be
adjusted for levels, curves, etc.

This could be an image where that technique would be hard to apply. The
close tree should be no problem at original scan size, but the one on
the lower right could be tricky to separate into tree and sky. Since it
shows little or no haloing, it might work to selectively erase the top
layer there.

Moose