[OM] Re: OT Film Scanner V ED vs 5000 ED

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Film Scanner V ED vs 5000 ED
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 07:02:39 -0800 (PST)
> You have the V ED, correct? Looks like you are limited to one strip
> of up to six negs at one shot, right? From the Nikon website seems
> you have to step up to the 5000 ED to get the batch feeders.

Yes, mine is the V-ED.  The batch feeder is the same for both it and
the 5000.  However, the 5000 has an exit slot out the back of the
chassis.  Without the exit slot, the film will only feed so far.  I'm
sure the 5000 has a few additional brains to handle the extra
thumbnails and stuff.

I bought the V-ED because I thought the majority of the use would be
for slides.  The strips of six negs didn't really bother me that much
since I store the negs in PrintFile archival sheets anyway.  Also, I
was trying to keep my budget in check.

If I was doing it again, and had I made any form of real committment
to film (other than B&W) when I was buying it, I would have purchased
the 5000 instead of the V-ED.  My wife wanted me to buy the 5000.  I
seriously considered it, but felt the price exceeded my pain
threshold.

The ability to handle an entire roll at once is really nice, as well
as the fact that it is twice as fast as the V-ED.  Otherwise, there
is no difference between the units.

At this point, if I were to get another scanner, it would be a
flatbed that can handle larger formats--but as an addition to the
V-ED, not as a replacement.  The film handling (even at six frame
limit) of the Nikon is still the class of the field.

My old Coolscan II had a film holder.  What a nausiating pain that
was.  However, it does allow you to scan a single 35mm negative.  I
might have to pick up another holder at some point.

> Rob in Seattle, still wondering if he can hold off the move to
> digital....

For the non-pro, I don't see why not.  You have to cook through a lot
of rolls of film before you start to see the payoff of buying a new
digital camera.  Let's say that your ideal digital camera is a
1D2MIIn (only smaller and lighter).  If you were to buy that now,
it's going to be a $10,000 investment(including a few lenses).
However, if you can wait 24 months, that "ideal camera" should be
available for about $1500-2000.  You can buy a lot of scanner and
film over these next two years to save $8000.

This is kinda my plan.  By resurrecting film, I can hold off buying a
new digital camera probably through all of 2007.  By that time, the
E-3 *should* be out and dropped down in price a little once all the
bad reviews are in.  What do I have to lose?  I already own the
scanner and film cameras.  (Although an OM-4T does sound tempting).

AG

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time