[OM] [OT]: Mozilla Firefox Assistance !

Subject: [OM] [OT]: Mozilla Firefox Assistance !
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:47:24 -0000
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the OT request.

I have been using Mozilla Firefox for some time now and am really happy
with it.  With this in mind, when I setup my Father's new PC I tried to
install firefox on that.  However, he is using an external dial-up modem
(actually, it's an external USB Creative Modem Blaster, or something
like that).

Problem is, I can't make the browser automatically disconnect the modem
when he closes the browser.  The old (and I mean really old, Win 95 era)
Internet Explorer did this fine (about the only thing it did do fine !).
The new version of Internet Explorer (he has Win 2000 Pro on the "new"
machine) won't disconnect the modem either, though at least it will
prompt with a "do you wish to disconnect" box.  Not ideal (given my
Father's ability to mess up with a computer) but better than I've
managed to get Firefox to do.

So, has anyone got experience of making Firefox work with a Dial-Up
Modem ?  Specifically, making it disconnect the modem when you close
Firefox ?

All advise gratefully received.  Sadly the PC is 40 miles away so I'll
be collating all the advise I get and trying it maybe this weekend,
maybe next week.

That's all.

Thanks,

Jon