[OM] More Lightroom

Subject: [OM] More Lightroom
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:56:34 -0800
There is an interview here with the founder of the Lightroom project:

http://since1968.com/article/187/

It sort of confirms what I have felt, that these new apps are
primarily designed for photographers who bring in a couple thousand
images from a shoot and want to process and sift through them with as
little expenditure of time and attention as possible. Not what I want
to do.

I am still puzzled by the positioning of these apps, especially the
one from Adobe. I am sure that they intended it as a Photoshop for
photographers with the special features justifying selling it at the
same price. Why take a reduction in income? With the lower pricing of
Aperture making a $600 price impossible, Adobe has made a few noises
that Lightroom will just be another tool in the Adobe arsenal as if
they expect people to pop for both Lightroom and Photoshop. If so
there will probably be exclusive tools in each that will induce
people to buy both. I might be induced to switch from one expensive
tool to another if there is an easy transition like a competitive
upgrade price, but certainly not two expensive tools. The periodic
upgrade for PS is not too bad by comparison.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA