[OM] Re: The real 24mm finals: Sumo-style monster vs little gem

Subject: [OM] Re: The real 24mm finals: Sumo-style monster vs little gem
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:31:12 -0500

"The tests themselves seem to have varying amounts of sharpening
sometimes with the winner of the comparison looking so hard and
haloed it might shatter. "

Yes, as has been pointed out, these were the "playoffs."  There were tests with
the primes.
They did attempt to have the same amount of sharpening.

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/24mmcup/pentax/index.html

It is nice to have well performed usage tests to complement the MTF data.
These seem to be frought with methodologic complexities.  Not even MTF data can
be relied upon---Canyon MTF curves are calculated unlike  the measured ones at
Photodo.  I don't have a clue how much variability there is in the
manufacturing.

Mike Hatem has said even the Z. 21 F2's had a fair amount of variability in
performance  esp at larger apertures.  I think he tested them for this site.  I
am interested in use of these lenses on a 5D.

I think it was Angenioeux that provided the MTF for the very lens purchased for
awhile--at least I have read that.

Mike

AOL Mail and more.