[OM] Re: OT Re: Lose, Loose, Looser, Loser

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Re: Lose, Loose, Looser, Loser
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:19:28 +0000
Jose

That's an attractive photo, nicely soft and romantic in atmosphere.

I agree with your point of view, obviously because I am a native
English speaker and I could not put myself properly in your shoes.
But I think that it also has to do with the appalling level of
language teaching in English-speaking schools, in English or other
languages.  No grammar has been taught for ages, much less spelling
by rote.  I went to a private school so I was lucky, but my wife,
friends and colleagues who had state school education had little
detailed education in languages.

We had (limited) experience of state school education while we were
in Florida, but what we did see persuaded us to go private for our 2
boys (St Patrick's Catholic School, Tampa), a choice which was one of
the best we made for the boys.

Finally, that's a pretty cool domain name ("nunquam" is Latin for
"never") and might indicate your superiority in linguistics :-)

Chris
p.s. my Latin dictionary has "numquam" as the primary word for
"never", but clearly both are acceptable. cb