[OM] Re: Deleting in the Camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Deleting in the Camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:16:15 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> I found this article "To Delete or Not" by Dave New to be really
> interesting. I tend not to delete in the camera and he provides
> really good technical reasons not to.
>
> http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/
>
> About half way down.

Thanks, that's was interesting., I also liked the practical photographic
reasons given in the article right above it.

I guess I'm pretty safe, I follow all the suggestion in both articles
except for the last half of the parenthetical part of Dave New's
Addendum rule #6. I all my blank format cards in camera to prepare them
for use. Waiting to do so in the field just before use seems an
unnecessary waste of battery power in the field - and would probably
miss my once in a lifetime shot while formatting. ;-)   I can't see any
technical reason to do so.

My exceptions have been as the author(s) said, for emergencies. I have
on 2 or 3 occasions flipped through a full card deleting outtakes
because I didn't bring along enough storage. Unlike Josh Hawkins D1H,
all my current cameras will enlarge the image enough to see if focus is
too bad or not and/or whether the blown highlights are in crucial areas.
The screen on the 300D is smallish, but the job can be done well with a
little patience. It's really quite easy with the 5D screen.

I've never run into any problems doing this, although, as I said, I
avoid it on principle whenever possible. I have the impression that the
EOS file system is pretty robust and forgiving. On the other hand, I've
never had to do deleting other than the last shot on the F10 or F30, and
I would be hesitant to do so. The Fuji xD file system seems to be less
fragile than the Oly version, but I don't trust it to deal reliably with
anything tricky. Overcaution? Oh well. With space for about 340 of its
highest rez shots on the 1gb card, I haven't come close to needing to
delete in camera but for the odd last shot that I know is junk.

Moose