[OM] Re: OM 180/2.8 bokeh praised at RFF

Subject: [OM] Re: OM 180/2.8 bokeh praised at RFF
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:38:55 -0800
The way I understand it the purple fringing stuff is a sensor
artifact, not lens CA. Applications like Photoshop deal with the lens
CA which is usually red/blue or yellow/cyan fringe where there is one
color on one side of the overexposure and the other color on the
other side. The purple fringe is caused by the overloading of the
sensor sites receiving more light than they can absorb and they bleed
into the darker neighboring pixels and display as purple.

I can usually minimize it by trying to watching overexposure of the
highlights and then post processing with the hue/saturation tool.
Selecting blue, clicking on the purple fringe, desaturating and
reducing the lightness usually makes it less noticeable. You just
can't carry it so far that the blues you want like the sky are
affected more than you can stand.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA