[OM] Re: Baby steps up the printer food chain in anticipation

Subject: [OM] Re: Baby steps up the printer food chain in anticipation
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:24:19 -0500
Y'know, just for the record, I've been flying an Epson 2200 for
years, and a 4800 for the past year, and clogging has never been a
problem with either printer. An older Epson C-Something or Other I
used to have would clog if I didn't print every day, but neither the
2200 nor the 4800 have that problem. Occasionally I need to run a
nozzle check, more on the 4800 than the 2200, but the only real head
cleaning I've had to do on either printer was on the 4800 by accident
and I'll never do that again! <g> And at some point in the next month
or two I'm going to have to change the maintenance tank on the 4800
for the first time since I bought it.

That said, I would not recommend the 4800 for anyone who doesn't
print a _lot_ of pictures. I keep the thing running for quite a while
every day between April and November, so I think it's performing up
to manufacturer's expectation. If I were printing less, I don't know
how the printer would behave. Can't talk about the 3800 because I've
never seen one, though now that I've grown used to roll paper, I
don't think I'd like the 3800's inability to handle rolls.

And that said again, I have noticed several other manufacturers
coming out with printers that seem to address Epson's weaknesses,
namely the inability to switch between photo black and matte black.
But then Epson addresses that in the 3800 if I'm not mistaken. And I
suppose it will be a factor in whatever replaces the -8 series
printers next time around. And that likely will keep me using Epsons.

Not that I wouldn't switch. I've got some serious brand loyalty to
Epson, but that's because the printers usually exceed my
expectations, don't require service, and because lots of people buy
the prints that come off the 2200 and 4800. As long as it ain't
broke, I ain't gonna fix it.

FWIW, as always,

--Bob