[OM] Re: DZ 8mm?

Subject: [OM] Re: DZ 8mm?
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 22:34:56 +0100
>I don't think that anyone has mentioned this at any length yet, but
>has anyone any experience of this lens?  I am starting to want a
>prime wideangle for my E-1 and I don't think that I would use a lens
>the size of the 11-22, let alone the 7-14, even if I could afford the
>latter.  An 8mm is a little too wide, but perhaps it would suit my
>purposes.
>
>Any offers of information?
>
>Chris

Look this up:
http://www.snowhenge.net/pblog/archives/000261.html

Also, some ancient posts by OzRay on http://fourthirdsphoto.com/ forums.

The 8mm does not appear to be so much smaller than the 11-2mm2, only a bit
shorter:
8mm: 79mm (D) x 77mm (L), 485g
11-22mm:  75mm (D) x 92.5mm (L), 485g

But still considerably bigger and heavier than a 21/3.5 ;-)

FWIW, I have had a 11-22mm (now sold to help my migration to N*kon stuff...),
and it was about the same size and weight as my 14-54mm, no difference in
handling. The 11-22mm is an _excellent_ lens.

I have had a Sigma 8mm, a smallish lens, but my sample at least was extremely
soft except at smaller apertures than I dared consider... In addition, a
fisheye lens, although it will be "full frame" on the E-1, remains a fisheye
lens (curvature of anything not crossing the center).

This being said, the 8mm is by all accounts an excellent lens. If you learn how
to tame it, it could give you excellent results I guess. Just don't expect to
replace a 21mm with it.

Bernard