[OM] Re: FL40 and C8080

Subject: [OM] Re: FL40 and C8080
From: Richard Ociepka <ociepka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 08:52:11 -0500
khen lim wrote:

> Firstly in your opinion would you consider the FL40 the best-matched flash
> option for the C-8080 especially when compared to the current FL36 and FL50?
> If so, why do you think so?

Hi Khen, the FL-40 is fully compatible with the C-8080.
I like to run the camera set to slave mode. This eliminates the
pre-flash so the flash fires when the shutter is activated.
However, for the flash charge indicator to work you need to have
firmware version 78 installed in the camera.

With the FL-36 the focus assist illuminator does not work properly with
any camera other than the E-series. I am not sure if that includes the E-1.
The focus assist illuminator on the FL-36 will come on only for a brief
time, not long enough to be effective. The focus assist illuminator on
the C-8080 itself lasts longer.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c8080_pg2.html
"When using the FL-50 (or FL-36), the C-8080 controls the flash's
motorized zoom head, but does not make use of its long range focus
assist illuminator."

> Secondly can the FL40 perform anything like Full-Synchro (FP) with the
> C-8080?

It works well at 1/1000th sec shutter speed. And depending you the
distance to the subject, it will work at 1/4000th sec.

> I suspect it wouldn't be compatible with any of the E-series DSLRs.

The FL-40 is fully TTL compatible with the E-1 but not the E-300 and
later models.
It can, however, still be used in auto mode.

Dick