[OM] Re: E-330 Question

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 Question
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 11:19:13 -0600
On 1/7/07, Allan Mee <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was offered an E330 at abut the same time as the 300D - and for around the
> same price (s/h) but with 12 month warranty from a shop over the phone -
> unfortunately, the shop was approx. 200 miles away. I didn't like the 'look'
> of the E330
snip
> Just my uninformed opinion.
> Allan

I didn't respond to the original post because the question was
directed to Dan.  I guess if Allan can respond on the basis of not
liking the looks of the E-330, I can respond on the basis of actually
having both bodies.

It's a bit hard for me to imagine not having had the E-1 experience.
If there is such a thing as a classic in these digital thingies, the
E-1 must be it.

It's not like just because there is an E-330 you can't do macro with
the E-1.  I just think that at the end of the day if you do a lot of
macro the E-330 is going to be easier on the body (the human body,
that is).

I have not yet discerned the advantage of the extra MP the E-330
brings.  No relevation or great awakening there.  The small LCD dates
the E-1 more than anything else.  The MP are qualitatively still
great.

There are subtle differences in the capture to me.  For example, even
with sharpening completely turned off in the camera, the E-330 capture
is sharper than the E-1's.  This might sound like a good thing, but
for me it just means that a bit of the decision-making in the process
to the final image has been taken away.  It is also possible that this
is a software problem.  Olympus has clearly not provided the same
level of support for E-330 RAW as they have provided for the E-1.  An
example:  neither Viewer nor Studio can detect that I have selected
AdobeRGB as my space in the camera.  I have to select that in the
software EVERY time I process a RAW image.  So that suggests to me
that the sharpening settings I have made in the camera are also not
being detected in the software either.  I will try some tests to prove
this, but in the meantime, soup to nuts, the E-1 still appears to be
the premier Olympus experience in DSLRs, particularly if you are going
to shoot RAW a lot.

On the other hand, this isn't really that big a deal, it's just
annoying mostly.  If you don't use Studio or Viewer for RAW
processing, you'll never miss it.

The form factor of the E-330 has been nothing but advantageous so far,
from the ability to use a third-party flash along with the built-in
one to the way it slips so easily into my bag.  It travels extremely
well, better than the E-1 for me.

The E-330 is a lovely camera, and I am very smitten with it.  Once the
pitter-patter of my heart quiets down, I suspect that I will reach for
the E-1 again.

Joel W.