[OM] Re: OT On hazards of aging (new specs)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT On hazards of aging (new specs)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 05:07:45 +1300
Wayne wrote
> supposedly going to be a bit better than the old
> ones that I've had for 6 years. However, the new ones are worse, as anything
> outside of almost perfectly straight on is blurry. The optical store I bought
> them from is arguing that that is normal, as they are aspherical lenses,
> whereas
> my older ones are spherical. Their argument is that aspherical lenses are
> better
> when you look perfectly straight on, and can be made thinner and lighter, but
> the trade-off is that when you cast your eyes to the side without turning your
> head, they are more blurry. Is that true?
I don't believe their argument is true within the bounds of optometrist's lens
selection standards.

In any case, if it's the overall performance that is more important that the
tunnel-vision standard, then go for the spherical.

Further, I add in all seriousness, and this applies to automotive driving, as
we
age apparently we develop increasingly greater tunnel vision, which is
dangerous. I argue it is stupid to have tunnel-vision accentuated through a
particular lens construction formula.  ESPECIALLY since you were not told
prior.

Brian