[OM] Re: Le*ca and B&W

Subject: [OM] Re: Le*ca and B&W
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 01:29:08 -0800
Chris Crawford wrote:
> Well for one thing, the OM 50 f 1.8 has horrid Bokeh, while Leica lenses are
> usually better in that regard.  The Leica 50mm f2 Summicron R is the only
> Leica 50 that I have personally used and it's far superior to the Olympus
> lens. I Like the OM-4T much better then the Leica R4 that I had.  I hated
> the ergonomics of the R4 so much I sold it and bought another OM-4T but I
> miss that Summicron.
>
> Here's a photo taken with the OM 50mm f1.8, shot at aperture of f4.
> http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/marys-bar/photopages/marys-
> bar15.htm  See how harsh the out of focus areas are?
>
> Here's one with the Summicron, shot I think at f4 or 5.6.
> http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/grandpa/photopages/dog1.htm
> Look at the out of focus area outside the window, see how smooth it all is?

Hard to tell too much from these. It seems to me that focal distance, as
well as background distance and aperture, affects bokeh. And the two
subjects are at very different distances. Also hard to see much at the
size. But I do agree that the 50/1.8 bokeh can be quite annoying
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Home/5018bokeh.htm>.

I also generally restrict use of the 50/3.5 to copy stand duty. Bokeh
with some natural subjects can be ugly.

Moose