[OM] Re: Most influential cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Most influential cameras
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:37:50 -0600
> Was it the Photomic TTL metering finder that made the difference that
> pulled N ahead of the pack? It was certainly a good thingie. I suppose
> that may be why my dad replaced the Super-D with an Ftn.
There were several things that made the F what it was. The Spotmatic was
limited by stop-down metering and the screw mount. The Topcon was hobbled by
a microscopic dealer network, and a relatively limited lens and accessory
line. What made the Nikon, though, and the loss of which gave Canon the keys
to the kingdom, was Nikon Professional Services. They provided real service,
until they decided to give it up to Canon, who continues to provide what
Nikon can't/won't.

> My own first SLR was an Ftn, partly because it was by then the cool, pro
> camera
My second, after the spotmatic. Damn, it was cool. Still is. In some ways,
it still can't be beat. Many of the ways it can't be beat are literal.

Bill Pearce