[OM] Re: FS: Zuiko 35-80/2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: FS: Zuiko 35-80/2.8
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 06:21:42 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose"
> Darin wrote:
>
>> ................, I do recall seeing the big
>> mushroom cloud of ash. Also, going to town either that day or the day
>> after,
>> and seeing almost everyone wearing those white dust masks. ....
> OK, I give up. It's not my story, but I can't resist. A woman who worked
> for me was flying almost over Mt. St. Helens when it blew.
>
> If you knew Joan, you might think the timing was affected by her
> proximity.
>
> Some other day, I may tell you about her exploding parakeet..... ;-)

That sounds like it could be a very interesting story indeed!

>> Isn't it interesting, how the wildlife always seems to know when a
>> natural
>> disaster is about to happen. I often wish I could be that in tune with
>> nature!
>>
> Quite impressive to me too. I read that almost no wildlife was harmed in
> the big Tsunami in SE Asia. I don't think it that they "know" something,
> in the sense we would have to in order to act consciously. They just
> somehow find that their movements result in them being out of harm's way
> from natural disasters like eruptions, landslides and tsunamis.

Perhaps "know" wasn"t the best word to use, maybe "sense" would be a better
choice. I'm no expert on the matter, but I do believe that animals are
somehow aware of when a natural disaster is imminent. I'm sure we've all
heard stories of dogs barking wildly just prior to major earthquakes, and
the like. Then again, maybe I've just seen to many movies. Lol!

> I don't know how many are aware of it, but the great Pacific Tsunami
> waning system failed this year in Crescent City, CA. No lives lost or
> anything like that, but quite a bit of property damage. Maybe they
> should be tracking collars and/or tags on coastal wildlife.
>
>From what I've read, the harbor at Crescent City is known to amplify the
size and power of waves, do to it's shape. So, the six foot waves that hit
Crescent City, probably weren't big enough to trigger an alarm from the
warning system when they passed the buoys. Furthermore, two tsunami warnings
had been issued earlier in the day, but I still wouldn't be one bit
surprised if the warning system would have failed regardless.

Darin