[OM] backpacking in the Sierra [was Age concern]

Subject: [OM] backpacking in the Sierra [was Age concern]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 02:26:58 -0800
James N. McBride wrote:
> The background looks like the Sierras.
Indeed it is. This is where we were heading
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/Sierras/Destination.htm>.

We camped at about 10,000 ft., below what you can see in the pic.
> Is the pack a Kelty
No, some cheap copy. Worked just as well.
> and do you still backpack?
No. It was always the light, scenery and companionship that got me out
on the trail, not the exertion, food and accommodations. :-)

Then my second, late wife was not an outdoors person, at least not if it
involved much exertion. With the limited vacation time available to
working stiffs, I spent mine with her.

We did go into the high Sierra once, on a horse trip into Pioneer Lakes
Basin (aka Cirque of the Robber Barons). What a revelation! I had
backpacked through there before. The comparison between looking down to
avoid tripping and eating lots of dust vs. sitting up high seeing
everything while the horse watched its step and breathed the dust was
pretty great. I even saw a big waterfall I had missed before.

Then came things like coming back from a vigorous hike around the cirque
hot, sweaty and tired to a cold beer and steak dinner. Then came cancer,
death, working single parenthood, etc. and I didn't get out much of
anywhere for a while. By then, I had discovered that there were
wonderful natural places to visit where one could sleep in a suite and
eat well too. Sitting back after my shower in a thick terry bathrobe in
a comfy chair looking out at the view through a living room big enough
to pitch several of my old backpacking tent around the fireplace at the
view of the ocean while awaiting my gourmet breakfast delivery helped
create the new, less svelte Moose
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/NorthCoast/RobeMoose.htm>.
I did have to walk a few yards from the room to see this
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/NorthCoast/SonMen01.htm>. ;-)

A. Sybaritic Moose