[OM] Re: [OT]D40 Review

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]D40 Review
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:40:44 -0800
You can look at it that way, but studies have shown that most people
especially in the lower price ranges never get another lens past the
kit lens which is AFS and very reasonable in cost. Certainly I would
not be interested in crippling a modern camera with putting on an
older lens without an instant focus motor in it but you may feel
differently. The price differential for AF-S is hard to pin down
anyway. Newer lenses are just more expensive anyway and often have
more of the expensive ED glass and aspheric elements. Is it more
expensive because of AF-S or because it is a better lens?

Besides you can still use other lenses both manual and AF by focusing
manually and it gives you a mechanism to signal when it in focus. All
you lose is a slower AF when you use a non-AF-s lens.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA