[OM] Re: Thoughts on Olympus SLRs

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on Olympus SLRs
From: Mike Lees <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:24:21 +0000
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> But as technology progresses I think the interline chip noise
> performance problems will eventually be overcome or minimized and
> electronic viewfinders will be made much larger and with higher
> resolution.  I've always found it interesting to watch the A1's
> viewfinder/screen to see it change amplification levels as you change
> exposure such that the image brightness on screen becomes a pretty good
> light meter by itself.  It's also interesting to watch it switch to
> black and white mode when the light drops so low that it can no longer
> do accurate color.  I think a higher performance version of this basic
> imaging system will be in many of our cameras of the future.  It will
> probably be cheaper to produce one day than a complex SLR mirror and
> prism arrangement.  With the mirror out of the way one could also have a
> very short registration distance and have a camera that accepts numerous
> lenses with different adapters.  You could also have less complex wide
> angle lenses that didn't require a retrofocus design.  Some day.
>
> Chuck Norcutt

Hmmmm, no mirror or prism, short registration distance .... sounds like
a L*ica M8! Just need the cheaper bit now.

There's an article on The Luminous Landscape suggesting that the short
registration distance (along with other factors) is causing the high IR
sensitivity problems with the M8 -
http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/Leica-M8-Perspective.shtml

But I'm sure you are right - technology will progress and these issues
will be solved.

Mike.