[OM] Re: So, it's a good camera

Subject: [OM] Re: So, it's a good camera
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:55:38 -0800 (PST)
--- Wiliam Wagenaar wrote:
> AG, I could not agree with you more. I could not write it down
> as poetically as you however.
> Very well said.

Thanks. I'm feeling a bit beat up here.

I fully understand normal upgrade/replacement due to wear and
tear, but we're obsoleting perfectly adequate equipment due to a
sliding scale of what is determined to be acceptable image
quality.

This isn't just a "keep up with the Jones' thing", but being
foisted upon us by our clients.  As compared to what I was
shooting four years ago, my E-1 is as good as anything that came
before it.  Even better in so many regards than the Nikon F5.
I'm very satisfied with the camera as far as the camera goes,
even with the imaging as compared to film four years ago. But
we're no longer comparing to film from four years ago, but
cutting-edge digital technology that is rivaling the best of the
film-formats.

I think what is getting to me is that it has been suggested to
me more than once that I *NEED* to get the 5D.  Well, that's
what triggered my "So, it's a good camera" post.  I recall, back
when the film EOS first came out that it was the best camera out
there and how we no longer were able to shoot without
auto-focus.  That was bogus then, and my argument is that the
same argument in favor of the 5D is bogus today.  If I would
have purchased every new "best" out there since 1989, I would
have spent a hundred-thousand dollars on new and improved stuff
and not have been much farther than I am now.

The "evergreen" policy, where you buy new and get rid of it just
as soon as the next model comes out is one way to go, but being
constantly on the bleeding edge isn't always the best way to go
and it also requires you to preserve your equipment in better
shape than what I normally do. Generally, I run my equipment
till it's either toast, or I buy and sell only used gear.

Why is this different now than before?  Cameras always improved
over time, but the film was a seperate entity.  You could
upgrade your film (sensor) on a continual basis without
fork-lifting the camera gear.  You could choose to use the
equipment which was "best" for your own methods and procedures.

Maybe what is really bothering me is that I can't buy affordable
used digital gear that is still viable.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com