[OM] Re: [OT]Panasonic DMC-LX2

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]Panasonic DMC-LX2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 02:53:41 -0800
Michael Wong wrote:
> I bought a new DC of Panasonic DMC-LX2 last week. I chose it because
> of its really 16:9 full pixel CCD & RAW format. I have a good
> impression for its compact, light weight, many features, human nature
> design.But its noise is under my expectation, seems quiet high. I read
> some comments from HK photography forums said the noise of Panasonic
> DC is a bit little higher than others :(

Perhaps you will read reviews in the future? (Or even this list, where
the poor noise of this camera was discussed some time ago.)

"Noisy sensor and excessive noise reduction at all ISO settings. Low NR
setting not low enough"

"... the LX2 is an 'upgrade' that fails to address in any convincing way
the single glaring problem with its predecessor. Rather than going back
to fundamentals and working on the weakest link in what is otherwise a
very desirable camera - noise - Panasonic decided, presumably because
the 'market' demands it, to add even more pixels and use the
sledgehammer noise reduction of the Venus III processing engine. To be
fair to Panasonic the output is an improvement over the LX1, though only
by a narrow margins, and at anything over ISO 200 it's 'different'
rather than 'better' (again, to be fair, it does produce better prints).
Noise is measurably lower than most competitors, but the noise reduction
artifacts and loss of fine low contrast detail are a heavy price to pay."

All the 10 mp digicams so far have poor noise performance. The market
"demand" for more mps has lead to an actual decline in overall image
making performance in some cases compared to predecessor models with
fewer mps.

The only clear exception to this trend to higher mp, but noisier,
sensors so far seems to be the Fuji F30, which stayed at 6.3 mp while
improving nose performance, JPEG processing and the user interface.
Unfortunately, the same sensor in the Fuji S6000fd / S6500fd doesn't
seem to work as well.

Moose