[OM] Re: So, it's a good camera

Subject: [OM] Re: So, it's a good camera
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:19:11 -0800
It does not look like anyone has discovered anything new lately. It
is the same physics with some fine tuning. You can see with the tiny
sensors and pixel sites in the digicams that you are already taking a
big hit in pixel site diffraction and loss of detail at F8 and that
the noise reduction processes are beginning to smooth away detail,
sometimes at one step above base ISO. And there is poor dynamic range.

Seems to me that 10-12 MP in a DSLR is going to be the sweet spot for
some time. Certainly pixel counts will go higher, but you would not
want a 24MP DSLR any more than you would want a 10MP digicam. Well, I
would not. Images from the 5D are arguably as good or better than the
ones from the 1DsMkII. Companies that care about quality  are
probably not going to push much beyond where they are now until some
new technology comes along. And small advances are not going to give
much more. There really is little difference between 10 and 12MP.

  As for the 10 year camera life I think it is no accident that Leica
chose now to bring out the M8. More than enough quality to satisfy
anyone who shot film who does not have an anti-digital prejudice, and
unlikely to need updating for some time. It is a camera company that
depends on quality and longevity of their models.

If you are not convinced an option would be to develop a strategy to
keep up. Pick a system that has the lenses you want. And pick a
camera make that holds its value for a while. Buy an inexpensive 10
MP camera now for that system and when advances come along, sell
quickly to cash out and become an early adopter. I was amazed at how
some Nikons held their value for 6 months or more after new models
came out. I imagine Canon does the same.

Or get that digital Hasselblad. It will be around in 10 years,
although the back will probably get "improved".

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA