[OM] Re: Storm

Subject: [OM] Re: Storm
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:15:24 -0700
My brother, who lives in Port Moody, British Columbia (basically a
suburb of the Greater Vancouver area) also bore the brunt of the storm.
  He lives on a hilltop where there are multi-hundred foot cedars still
standing.  Around 3 AM when the storm was blowing through, one of the
big ones toppled.  It took out part of a house just three doors up the
hill from my brother as well as part of another house all the way across
the street (these trees have tremendous reach when they fall).

The street itself was covered in about three feet of debris from trees,
houses, etc.  The strata association manager, on a whim, had called some
emergency crews prior to the worst of the storm hitting, so they were
actually there the next morning chipping fallen branches, chainsawing
trees etc.  My brother brought out the trusty snowshovel to scrape the
minor gunk away from the street.

Amazingly, my bro's house escaped completely unscathed.  Even more amazing:

One of the neighbours, whose house got taken out, worked night shifts,
and was apparently sitting in her car in the driveway talking on the
cellphone after just having come home, when the big tree fell.  It fell
right over her car, taking out the two houses, but the trunk didn't
manage to collapse down into the structure of the two houses far enough
to actually crush the car, so she also escaped without injury.

Though I'm betting she had to change her underwear afterwards.  ;-)

Final toll on my bro's street: two houses destroyed, many more in
various states of damage, zero human casualties.  He says he's sending
me pictures, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Garth