[OM] Re: OT PHP/MySQL (was My proposed database fields)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT PHP/MySQL (was My proposed database fields)
From: Mike Lees <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:56:13 +0000
Brian,

>From your side you shouldn't see any difference between html pages and
php pages.

PHP scripts are embedded within html pages, the *server* executes these
scripts when you request a page. Usually the PHP will output some text
or html which ends up in the page.

A PHP script that looks like this on the server::
<head>
<title>PHP Test</title>
</head>
<?php echo '<p>Hello World</p>'; ?>

Will result in the server sending this to your browser:
<head>
<title>PHP Test</title>
</head>

So it can be as simple as putting the current date on a page to
accessing previously uploaded information from a database such as MySQL.

Many applications use it:
The online classifieds system I wrote. Example site:
http://www.countrycars.com.au
The free online gallery system, Gallery available from
http://gallery.menalto.com/ Example site:
http://photo.whizzkid.co.uk/main.php
Content Management system, Drupal (also free) available from
http://drupal.org/ Example site: http://gallery.menalto.com/
Of course, I must mention the TOPE site: http://www.tope.nl/

For a quick intro to PHP, I would recommend the tutorial on the PHP
site: http://www.php.net/tut.php

I know I'm not the only person on the list with some knowledge of PHP,
but feel free to drop me a mail off-list if you want any more info.

Regards,

Mike.