[OM] Re: My proposed database fields

Subject: [OM] Re: My proposed database fields
From: "Matthew Bristol" <bristolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 07:24:38 -0600
I decided to give you a quick example of what I meant by normalizing.
This seemed more fun than working on my own DB's for work...

You could even add another "layer" where only the unedited pictures are
stored in tbl_Pictures and you stored information about different edits
in another table that referenced the id_Picture of the original as well
as any edit information.  That would be much preferable if you were
storing several edits for the same picture, as you would have to enter
the original picture information only once.

If you made a tbl_Films, you could just have a film type of "Digital"
for your DSLR shots.

I like DB's much too much.
________
tbl_Cameras
_________
id_Camera: Autonumber
CameraDescription: A1
CameraManufacturer: Canon
CameraSN: 0912831902-309
CameraType:DSLR

_________
tbl_Lenses
__________
id_Lens: Autonumber
LensDescription: 18-50mm EFS
LensManufacturer: Canon
LensMaxmm:18
LensMinmm: 50
LensMaxf: 6.0
LensMinf: 2.8
LensSN: 45646516545

tbl_Pictures
id_Picture:Autonumber
id_Camera: foreign key from tbl_Cameras
id_Lens: foreign key from tbl_Lenses
FileSpec: C:\MyDocuments\MyPictures\DSC001.JPG
Date/Time:   12/12/2006 18:59:00