[OM] Re: What is CA?

Subject: [OM] Re: What is CA?
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 09:07:08 -0600
> As I see it, IS is used by those who cannot afford the time or space to
> set up a tripod, perhaps even a monopod, and must take photos in less
> than ideal lighting or terrain.
> For them it's a working miracle!
Keith,

This is a common comment about IS/VR, and is totally unfounded. The utility
of these systems are entirely on the type and style of your photography.

My wife has the Nikkor 80-400. She got it for her African safaris. She is
shooting under conditions where the use of a tripod/monopod is either
impossible or undesireable, largely from jeeps. Her number of keepers has
risen dramatically from the numbers from her previous camera, and IS 3. I
believe she has gained every bit of three stops.

I took it to Oshkosh several years ago, to try it shooting the airshows. I
don't think I got more than a stop, but that was because of my years of
shooting them, where I developed my skills of panning, much as Stephen
Scharf has done with motorcycle racing.

If your photography is shot under conditions where a tripod is always
suitable, good, but there are those for which that advantage is unavailable.

Bill Pearce