[OM] Re: Inspiration needed - totally on topic

Subject: [OM] Re: Inspiration needed - totally on topic
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:14:14 EST

In a message dated 12/5/2006 5:33:52 A.M. Central Standard Time,
swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

With  digital I can snap away happily, but with film I need a subject
more  worthwhile, any ideas?

First you take the OM off the shelf and then after you have grabbed hold of
the rewind knob, you . . .

Seriously, this doesn't need to be difficult.  I recently bought an  Olympus
Pen EE, had the light seals replaced, loaded it with film and put it in  the
car to give it a spin and see how and if it worked.  Hmm, 72 images,  that will
take a bit of shooting.  Well, one trip to the park with my 2  year old
granddaughter and a trip to the tire store did it.  The  granddaughters part
needs
no explanation, however the tire store might.  I  needed new tires, it was
lunch time and it was going to take about an hour and a  half. I grabbed the
camera, walked next door for two hot dogs and a chili  pie.  No onions or
crackers, please.   Had noticed an interesting  circular window on the way in,
so when
I left I took a picture of the window,  through which you could see the cook
and could also see my reflection.  OK,  back to the tire store.  They haven't
started yet.  Hmm,  interesting sign in the window.  I'll just crop it to
where it says  "No Interest".  That is a little bit of a challenge with a
viewfinder.   OK, I'm going to be here for a bit.  Let's walk  across the
street and
see what is going on over there.  A shot or two into  the windows of the steak
house.  That is a waste.  Now look at that  huge empty parking lot at the
long ago closed Sam's Club.  Wonder what I  might find there?  Well, 45 minutes
to an hour later, I was done and it was  truly amazing what you will find when
taking pictures of a parking lot.   Patterns, textures, designs and signs that
man has been there.  There are  impressions from when the concrete was
poured, things that man, nature and time  have deposited.  It was interesting
and
gave me an opportunity to use the  Pen EE.  A day or two later, I grabbed one
of
my OM 2S cameras and made a  return trip.  This time I used a tripod and my
85mm f2 lens.  More  interesting images, a dozen of which I've printed and I
haven't gotten to the  half frame stuff, yet.

So, any ideas for you and your Kodachrome. Yes.  Be intentional.   That
should be easy, use 4 rolls of film in the time you have  allotted.   Now, some
other ideas.

Use one lens only that you particularly like or perhaps one you  haven't used
in some time.

Give yourself a specific amount of time (an hour or two) to revisit an old
haunt with the intention of seeing it from a different point of view and use a
roll of film.

Get up before daybreak and shoot a roll before your spouse has finished the
first pot of coffee and the sun is way beyond the horizon.  That color is
special and can only be had at this time of day . . . before sunrise.

Try something you haven't tried before.  You know, star trails, milky  water,
panning with people in motion, etc.

Get real close to things for a roll.

Do a roll of abstract images.

Reflections on cars.

The next TOPE theme.  If you haven't visited the local farmers market
recently, it should be a gold mine for this topic.

Forget what you know you can do and discover what you don't  you can do.  Have
fun . . . intentionally.

Let us know what you did.

<{8^)  Bill Barber