[OM] Re: EOS lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: EOS lenses
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 15:18:30 -0500
I'm glad to hear yours works.

Note that I said "may" because some do, some do not.  Take a quick
look at the KEH listings for non-manufacturer EOS lenses, particularly
zooms.  Some are marked "DIGITAL USABLE", others "FILM ONLY" and still
others "NOT FOR A2, A2E, ELAN II/IIE".  Neither of the latter
categories will work with dSLRs.

If you call and ask about an older lens, they're very likely to warn
you off even if it isn't indicated on the Website because they've been
burned by a lot of returns.  My theory is that they don't state this
on the Website unless you return it for incompatibility.  In a sense,
we do their testing for them.  Though they will check before you buy
if you ask nicely and if they have the time.  IOW, not during the
holidaze.

That said, some lenses can be upgraded.  The older ones are the most
problematic in this regard as they were not designed to be modified.
It's worth a call to the manufacturer's service department before
buying.

I learned about this years ago when I had a number of third party
lenses that were suddenly rendered useless when I got an Elan IIe.

my two lux worth/ScottGee1