[OM] Re: Which spyware

Subject: [OM] Re: Which spyware
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:27:43 +0000
DialUp has one saving grace - because of the typically 2 hr disconnect, a
machine with dial-up isn't online for very long before d/c and r/c and
getting a new IP (although from a pool of similar IPs).
But while connected is as open to hacker attack as any other machine
connected to the Internet (which is really just one massive network made up
of smaller ones).
ShieldsUp at
http:\\www.grc.com
will test your machine for any open ports and some other issues - and advice
you on how well 'stealthed' you are (or not).
The MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser) tool from Microsoft (you can
d/l it from Microsoft's site) will check for any claring deficiences in your
security and advise of whatever updates you need for Windows, Office and
other MS software.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: "Jez Cunningham" <jez.cunningham@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: Which spyware
>Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:40:29 +0100
>

>You can verify the exact time elsewhere, but I remember hearing that the
>average time from an internet connection being established to the first
>ping
>(or similar) from a hacker is a few minutes... so dial-up users are
>strongly
>recommended to have a firewall.
>br
>Jez
>

>On 12/4/06, James King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > Unless the slip/ppp or other server at the ISP end has a firewall the
> > only difference between broadband and dial up is the speed you can get
> > attacked. The point of a firewall is to stop programs connecting to
> > certain services on your machine and to stop programs anauthorised
> > programs on your machine connecting to other computers. This can
> > regardless of how the internet connection is implemented.
> > James
> >
> > Geilfuss Charles wrote:
> > > Stu,
> > >       I'm hardly an expert in such things, but if you are using
> > > dial-up I don't think you need a firewall (but it won't hurt); I never
> > > had one until I moved up to broadband.

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Find Singles In Your Area Now With Match.com! msnuk.match.com