[OM] Re: Hey, get that yellow stuff out of my hair

Subject: [OM] Re: Hey, get that yellow stuff out of my hair
From: Nick Wilson <toona@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:32:32 +1100
Mike

Congrats on the birthday pressie!

One thing about OM macro is that it was (sigh!) so well thought out and
small and simple. Excellent quality too. It was one of the reasons I
migrated to OM years ago. I studied and then taught photomacrography and
micrography for a few years, using Olly binoc. and compound microscopes too.

I have liked the twin flash better than the ring flash, although that is
good too. The cross-pol technique is great for the twin flash, and more
practical to home-make too than for the ring flash, although I guess it
could be done! Get rid of those nasty highlights. I would love the
polarising filter for the ring flash Olly made, if someone has one for
$0.50 or so ;-) .

There is some info on:
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/t28-macro-twin-flash.html .

On the 'stickers': The T Power Control unit has the slide-in
'calculator', but there were also 'labels' as Olly called them for
combinations of lenses and flash units. The T 10 ring flash and 50mm
lens was the standard. I used to have some of the little labels, but
can't find them now and I don't remember T28 twin ones anyway. It would
be good to get them, in case one day I am reduced to an OM 1!
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/calculator-panels.html

The T Power Control manual only has manual calculation using the slide
in calculator. There are methods for calculating it by guide number then
trial and error (should be on the net). I have always adjusted TTL.

Olly produced a 'Manual for macrophotography group' that is a good read.
I don't have a spare, though.

Tips?

Well, one of the whinges I had with OM was no spot metering on macro
flash. Possibly impossible, I don't know!? However,  it is EASY to
overexpose pictures with a small subject and lots of background on TTL.
Cutting back a stop or so can do the job (depending on size of subject).

A full auto blast will darken the background (depending on the light,
but stopped down this is usually the case). Getting light into the
background to avoid the 'midnight' look is tricky, but all sorts of
combinations of TTL are possible with leads and T32 or T20 flashes!!

The modest flash sync of OMs means care with blur (as in one of your pics).

The twin flash allows modelling too, rather than the full blast from
both. But it can't be controlled other than by moving one head further
away or putting a neutral density filter over one flash (OM supplied or
home made). Diffusers can be added as well.

Lastly, as in your Zinnia (?) shot, it is often good to turn the flash off!

Probably enough, although thanks for reminding me of the 80mm. I bought
Jim C's from this list and it should be winging its way across the big
pond any day now!

Nick