[OM] [OT] A tip for Canyon flash shooters

Subject: [OM] [OT] A tip for Canyon flash shooters
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 08:05:37 -0500
The DJ at a recent bar mitzvah finally defeated me and the Canyon 5D and
my 2.8 lenses.  He turned the lights down so low I could hardly see
where to point the camera let alone count on me or the camera to arrive
at a good focus.

I hated to admit that I needed to abandon my beloved Sunpaks and T-32's
(for event work at least) and move on to a Canyon flash unit with
built-in autofocus assist light.  But that's a problem since the current
cat's meow Canyon flash (the 580EX) is $380 at B&H (before a piddling
$15 rebate).  If you're shooting an E-thing you also understand the
problem since an FL-50 is no bargain either at $375.  It was also irking
me that I would be paying for all that automation which I never use
since I only shoot flash in manual mode.

It finally struck me that there is a bargain to be had that solves my
problem.  It's the Canyon 540EZ.  The EZ series flashes are off-the-film
TTL flashes like the Oly T-series but new enough for autofocus.  From an
automation standpoint they're film only.  They don't work anymore on
digital gear since the Canyon digital cameras don't use OTF TTL exposure
control.  But the 540EZ is just as powerful as a 580EX (about the same
as a T-32), has a 7 stop manual control range, lighted control panel and
an autofocus assist light that's good to 15 meters... 50% further than
the 10 meter range of the much newer 580EX.  Better yet, I managed to
snag one on the bay for $52 when they typically sell for $80-120.

Tried it last night in the pitch black attic.  I prefocused the camera a
few feet away to force it out of focus and then aimed at the far wall
which was over 20 feet away.  It was so dark I wasn't sure what I was
aiming at until the camera took the shot.  It turned out to be well
focused, and by lucky guess work even reasonably well exposed on the
first try.

So, you too may be able to see in the dark.  Finally.

Chuck Norcutt