[OM] Re: [OT] Eps*n V700, was Zuiko 16mm fisheye...how much veiling glar

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Eps*n V700, was Zuiko 16mm fisheye...how much veiling glare should I expect
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 01:53:25 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Can the ICE do anything with Kodachrome even though it might take hours?

ICE uses the IR channel and IR doesn't go through the dyes in Kodachrome
and the silver particles in conventional B&W film (Chromogenic is
different and should work fine.) Thus the software, ICE FARE, VueScan,
whatever, Can't differentiate between dark parts of the image and dust
particles.

In a test using VueScan on Kodachrome, I found pretty much what I
expected. It did a rather nice job with dust in the sky or other light
portions where there isn't much dye. It created some odd little
artifacts in some dark regions. One could combine the two versions and
still probably save time on some slides.

The non-IR software somebody (Epson?) bundles with their scanners for
use with B&W is terrible.

Only ICE is stone really slow. Canon's FARE and the VueScan IR dust
removal software are much faster. From the Photo-i tests, ICE and FARE
work equally effectively. Look at the review details to see he speed
differences.

Moose