[OM] Re: [OT] Eps*n V700, was Zuiko 16mm fisheye...how much veiling glar

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Eps*n V700, was Zuiko 16mm fisheye...how much veiling glare should I expect
From: Nick Wilson <toona@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:57:06 +1100
Chris et al.,

It is worth looking at the photo-i site for a review. It seems the V700
is a good step up from the older scanners, but there isn't much of a
step between it and the 750...Seems good, in depth, neutral 'user'
reviews there,  although there seem to be criticisms at the fact Vincent
doesn't use standard test targets.

The bigger the enlargement, the contrastier the scene etc are also
factors. Bucolic English scenes might not be too much of a problem, as
there is never any sun for contrast ;-) .

I have the idea that anyone just using 35 mm (bless it!) might be better
off buying a 35mm film scanner, 2nd hand or no. The problem of expense
vs increments of quality in dynamic range, sharpness etc is most
critical for medium format, due to the hugely greater cost of film
scanners (eg 5x that of V700 here).  For large format, the flat beds
swing back in because, barring REALLY expensive film scanners, there are
no other options.

Nick